I’m posting later in the day, but we just returned from an evening away. Read on and you’ll see what we did and what a special time it was!
It was early evening and we had just finished a simple supper of BLT’s, a summer favorite. My husband pulled his Bible out of his book bag and told me he had something he wanted to read to me that he had read earlier that morning. We were spending an afternoon and night away at a lake cottage, just to have some quiet time to study, pray and be together on his day off. A boat or two rumbled past on the not-so-far-away lake as he opened to Ecclesiastes 9 and read about 6 verses, concluding with this verse:
Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity, but that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.
When he finished reading, he closed his Bible, nodded and smiled at me. As I looked at him I thought about how well he does that. He lives joyfully with me every day!
- I saw it earlier when we were preparing to travel to the lake. He was coming to pick me up from my dentist appointment and sent a text to tell me he would be late.
- When we stopped to pick up a salad for lunch, he brought the beverages to the car – a water for himself and diet Lemonade for me (my favorite).
- As we made our way to the lake, he chatted, telling me the reason he was late – the opportunity to share Christ with a man. I love it when he shares his day, his burdens and his life.
- He reached over and took my hand and said, “I sure love you!”
- Later in the afternoon as we sat overlooking the lake, he said how thankful he was we could spend an afternoon together. Tears welled up in his eyes as he said, “Sometimes I just miss you so much.”
- Even after our simple BLT supper, no fuss, no special recipe, he said, “That was so good; thank you, Sweetheart.”
Live joyfully with your wife – that’s what he does every single day. I am so blessed.
Why am I sharing this with you today? To boast? No. Even as I write out this list of only some of what he did in just ONE day, it is a stern reminder that I could make it so much easier for him to obey that Scripture if I was also living joyfully every day. There are days I just feel cantankerous! I’m often Fussy, griping, and complaining instead of joy-filled.
If I would laugh at his spontaneity, smile at disruptions, appreciate kindnesses, and live as though there was no tomorrow, I’ll bet it would help him to live even more joyfully with his wife. And maybe I couldn’t even believe there could be so much joy, and wouldn’t that be awesome?!
- What do you need to change to help your husband live joyfully with you?
Take the drive he suggests, even though you know you’ll be motion-sick on those curves.
If he initiates a kiss in public don’t push him away.
Leave the children with a sitter for an hour or two so you can sneak away for a date.
Hold hands, rub his back, smile at him, send him a loving text message, ask him questions about his day, and really listen when he talks to you,
Be understanding of his need for physical love.
Tell him thank you for the ways he provides for your family.
Pray with him before he leaves home.
Be waiting at the door for him when he returns home in the evening.
Get up and spend time with him before he leaves for work, if possible.
Surprise him with a night away for just the two of you.
Decide with God’s help not to fall apart when the next disaster strikes.
Let’s help our husbands obey the admonition to live joyfully with his wife by being joyful, too! Now, put a smile on your face and in your heart, and go share that joy with HIM!
Refresh your husband,