On a busy day before my recent trip to California, I needed a hearty dinner that didn’t take lots of time to prepare. These White Chicken Enchiladas were perfect! I roasted chicken breasts early in the day and cut them up and refrigerated them so that part of the meal would be ready. You could purchase a rotisserie chicken and simplify it even more!
The creamy white sauce in these enchiladas is simple to make and is so good! It’s a really nice change from the traditional red sauce! If you like Queso dip, I think the sauce tastes very similar. Mmm.
I served it with tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
- 10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups Colby & Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4oz) can of diced green chilies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan or any baking dish.
2. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up tortillas and place into the prepared pan.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil. You don’t want to curdle the sour cream.
5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 min; then under high broil for three additional minutes until the cheese browns slightly.
We loved this recipe! I hope you’ll try it!
With love from my country kitchen,