These hot August days sometimes turn my appetite away from heavy, hot foods to cold, refreshing salads. But when you need some protein, and you want more than a garden salad, what do you do?
You add ingredients to the salad that have the taste of a Big Mac without the heaviness or the calories of a burger! This Big Mac Salad is basically a deconstructed hamburger without the bun. But it’s hearty and delicious!
Here’s how you make it:
Big Mac Salad
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 8 oz Romaine lettuce (or iceberg if desired)
- 1 cup Tomatoes (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Pickles (diced)
- 1/2 cup Light Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Pickles (diced)
- 2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp sweetener of choice
- Brown ground beef, adding salt and pepper. Break beef up into small crumbles as it cooks.
- In a large bowl, add lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and pickles. Top with cooked ground beef. Top with dressing just before serving.
You can also assemble each salad on the plates as I did in the photos here.
- For Dressing:
Mix ingredients in a mason jar. Add warm water or oil to make it a pouring consistency .
This meal is also super fast and can be on the table in less than 30 minutes – probably faster than you could run to the local fast food restaurant and get served! It’s the perfect meal on a hot day, or a day when you want something delicious, but healthier than a hamburger!
What do you eat when it’s hot outside?