Years ago I found a pasta dish on Cooking Light that is the perfect blend of pasta, tomatoes and cheese. The Italian sausage added to the tomato mixture is just heavenly! This comes together so quickly, and it makes a LOT!! I usually split the recipe into two containers so I can share one with someone else.
Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cheese
- 1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti (short tube-shaped pasta) – I used macaroni because I had LOTS on hand
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage links (I use mild)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350°.
- Step 2 Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta, and set aside.
- Step 3 Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 4 Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Easier and faster than Lasagna, but super delicious, this pasta dish is a great busy night meal. You could even mix the whole thing up the day before and just pop it into the oven to heat it up! I served it with this Broccoli Salad and French Bread.
This is one of those recipes that you could put on repeat and no one would complain. Do you have a pasta recipe that you use make frequently?