No one in my family is Gluten-Free, but I have friends who are, so I’ve been pinning GF recipes on Pinterest. Some recipes are just plain strange, but when I found this White Chicken Chili, I knew it would be good! It was so delicious and had NO SPECIAL INGREDIENTS in it. You simply substitute coconut milk for the regular milk and corn starch for flour. This is so good with the thighs, too, but of course, you could use white meat. I will make this again, not just for my GF friends, but for anyone who wants a delicious bowl of hearty, tasty soup!
Here’s the simple recipe:
Slow Cooker Gluten-Free White Chicken Chili
- 2.5 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3 cans Great Northern beans
- 2 8 oz Cans Diced Green Chilies
- 1 Very large Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Tbl Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tbl Coarse Real Salt
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
- 1/4 Cup Arrowroot Starch or cornstarch (I used cornstarch)
Place the chicken thighs, beans, chilies, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, pepper, salt, chicken broth, and coconut milk in a crock pot. Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
Remove the chicken and place in a bowl. Lightly shred with a fork.
Place the arrowroot starch in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the 1/2 C. water to make a smooth, lump-free mixture. Stir the mixture into the chili in the crock pot.
Add the chicken back into the chili and stir to distribute. Let cook for another 30 minutes. Soup should thicken up.
Add the cilantro to the soup just before serving and check the seasonings, adding more salt or pepper if desired. If you want the soup to be a little thinner, add more chicken broth or coconut milk until desired consistency is achieved.
Top with a squeeze of lime juice.
Now how about a tasty little sweet ending for this meal or a nice snack that’s also Gluten-Free? This tastes like real food ! We loved these, and they whip up in minutes!
1 Cup Cashew – salted
1 Cup dates
1 Cup unsweetened Coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbl Almond Butter
- Process dates in a food processor fit with “S” blade until crumbly.
- Add coconut, cashews, vanilla and salt and process until well blended and fine.
- Add almond butter and process until mixture starts balling up or sticking together.
- Roll into balls, 1-2 TBS at a time.
- Enjoy! Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Do you make any Gluten-Free recipes you love?
With love from my country kitchen,