I love little lamps and candles. The proof is sitting all over my house. Up on my china cabinet, on the table in front of the living room window, on the coffee table, on the kitchen counter, on the bathroom counter…everywhere – you’ll see hospitality lights or candles. I love the softness they give to a room. They help the space to be cozy and inviting.
Saturday I was reading Proverbs 13 verse 9 that says, The light of the righteous rejoiceth. Being a lover of lights, I stopped and thought about that. Why would the light of the righteous be able to rejoice?
- Jesus is the light and we can always rejoice in Him!
- His light reveals who I am. I can get right and rejoice Ps 36:9b – In thy light we shall see light. Spurgeon says that we never see Jesus in the light of self, but self in the light of Jesus. When I look at Him I see myself correctly.
- If I’m doing righteous things I don’t mind the light – I rejoice that it’s on and revealing what I’m doing!
- I can share the light with others and that always brings rejoicing! Luke 15:7…joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth…
However, the second part of Proverbs 13:9 says, but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
- A wicked person’s light will only shine for a while. The “wick” on sin is short – it doesn’t last. It gives temporary pleasure then then it is snuffed out. All that’s left is darkness and ashes. There is no warmth, no light, no rejoicing – only cold, darkness and sadness.
The amazing thing is that it is our choice to have light or darkness! How deceived we are to choose the temporary light for Eternal light (Jesus Christ)!
Is your light on and full of rejoicing, or is the wick on your sin about to burn out? God’s mercy is extended to each of us to turn to the Light of the World and find forgiveness and then rejoicing!