Breakfast cravings can be difficult to deliver. It’s early, you’re busy. Who has time to make waffles on a regular workday? My solution to this is to find a day that’s not as busy and make up a whole recipe of waffles and freeze them for those busy days! I know, I know, you’re saying, “You can buy these in the store already frozen!” But it’s hard to beat a homemade waffle that has egg whites beaten into it that make them light and fluffy!
This recipe is one I’ve made for years; it’s our very favorite. My husband will even eat them plain! They’re that good! This made up an ocean of waffles; about 20 individual squares. They smell so good you might have a hard time saving some for the freezer, but try to resist!
- 1 3⁄4cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 3⁄4cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil (I used 1/4)
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, slightly; stir in the milk, oil and the vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (the batter should still be slightly lumpy).
- Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter, leaving some fluffs of egg.
- Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cups batter onto the grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle iron . Close the lid quickly and do not open until done.
- When done lift the waffles of the iron with a fork.
- Repeat the procedure with the remaining batter.
Layer these in Freezer bags with waxed paper in-between. You’ll be able to take out one or two at a time without them sticking together!
Refresh your breakfast with homemade waffles!
With love from my country kitchen,
4 thoughts on “An Ocean of Waffles”
We must have synchronized waffle cravings! I made a big batch on Saturday morning and put them in the freezer – I used my Krusteaz mix but they were still better than Eggos! 🙂
Ha! Nothing like homemade waffles! I hadn’t made them in forever. So yummy!!!