No snack before supper or you’ll ruin your appetite.
Most mothers have had to say this to their child at one time or another. A child may feel as though Mom is withholding good food from them, but oh, no! She has stored away all kinds of good things for her family! Plans for good meals are in the near future! She won’t let her family go hungry; she just wants her family to be hungry for the best foods that will help them grow.
Physical food can ruin your appetite for the right things, but have you ever considered that spiritual snacking actually creates an appetite for healthy spiritual eating?
Yesterday I talked about making wise decisions regarding entertainment. We get kind of “hungry” for something good to munch on while we’re working or doing a mindless tasks like getting ready for the day, riding in the car or washing dishes. Just as we don’t stop eating just because we want to eat healthy, we don’t have to stop using media because we want good choices to nourish our minds. Why? Because there ARE good things out there that can feed us well!!
Look what Scripture says –
The Lord will not suffer the soul of the righteous to famish:
Our loving God knows that we need spiritual food to grow and He will not let us go without what we need. His Word is the answer for every hunger in our soul! He is so good to allow so many avenues today in which we can hear His Word given to us!!
The word SATURATION is my word for 2018. I’ve asked the Lord to help me saturate my heart with Truth from His Word each day. I don’t always win at this but I want to share with you some of the ways that I “snack” on God’s Word most days.
- Audio Bible – Each morning while I’m making the bed, I listen to the Proverb chapter the correlates to the day of the month. In order to keep my ear and heart engaged, I try to finish the verse before the audio speaks it. I don’t have it all memorized, for sure, but I know it well enough that I can finish some of the verses. The Word is getting into me while I straighten up.
- Pod Casts – I have an app on my phone that fills my podcast library with episodes from Revive Our Hearts and Love Worth finding (there are many other preachers on that site as well). The word is getting into me while I’m working at home or traveling in the car.
- CD’s of messages – I often listen again to messages from conferences I’ve attended, via the recorded message on a CD. The truth comes back to my heart and I’m reminded of what the Lord taught me or I catch something I missed the first time! The Word is getting into me while I mop, fold laundry, iron, work on projects or cook.
- Pandora radio – I have several stations on Pandora of music that is a blessing to listen to while I cook or while I have my quiet time in the morning.
- Bible memory – I try to work on new verses or review ones I’ve memorized as I’m getting ready in the morning. I keep my memory verse cards nearby – on the counter or I take them with me in the car so I can keep working on Scripture. Having God’s Word in my heart makes Scripture the most mobile of all apps! It’s always with me!
While the real meat and meals come from my time in God’s Word each morning, these are some of my spiritual snack foods. They’re so wonderful that it truly does make my heart crave for more.
If you haven’t tried these delights, I hope you will, and if you have another suggestion of good spiritual “snacking food,” I would love for you to share that with us!
I hope I’ve made you hungry!