In the springtime when the days warm up, I love to go sit out on the front porch in a rocker, turn my face towards the sun and enjoy its warmth. But often just when I’m enjoying the rays hitting my face, a cloud covers the sun for a bit, making it dark and also chilly.
As we are all keeping ourselves safely at home during the virus, one day looks like the day before…and the day before that, and the day before that, and it’s easy to feel gloomy and perhaps even chilled in our heart. What we need is some sunshine! If that’s how you’re feeling today, the best kind of light is that from God’s Word because it will never fade behind a dark cloud! God Himself tells us that we need to keep Scripture shining brightly in our eyes. Look!
By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.
21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:
When I read this recently, I was amazed at the ten things that followed, revealing the blessings of keeping God’s Word shining in our eyes!
- It will be life to our soul. (v22) Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O Lord God of hosts,”—Jeremiah 15:16.
- It will be grace to our neck. (v22b) How beautiful is the ornament of Christ in our life!
- It will allow me to walk safely. (v. 23) There is nothing safer than walking in the wisdom of God! Does trial touch us? Yes, but the ornament of grace that is about our neck will sustain us!
- It will keep me from stumbling. (v. 23b) We will know how and what we are to do each day. We will be kept from those stumbling-blocks and temptations at which sinners commonly stumble and fall.
- It will keep me from being fearful. (v. 24) When we know more of our God, we can rest in Him! This reminds me of a favorite verse written by David in Psalm 4:8, “I will both lay me down in peace and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.” No fear is to be apprehended where Jehovah is Protector .
- It will allow me to sleep peacefully. (v. 24) When Peter was in prison, in chains, between two soldiers, on the eve of his expected execution, when there seemed but a step between him and death, he was able to lie down and not be afraid.” (Bridges)
- It will keep me from sudden fears. (v. 25) Those situations that come suddenly will find me resting in a sovereign God and His promises of His care for me, His aid to help me and His eye that sees me.
- It will give me confidence. (v. 26a) As we’ve learned during these months, we can’t put our confidence in ourselves, the government, our finances or our plans, but because God’s Word will always give the right counsel, the right comfort and the right perspective, it gives us the best confidence!
- It will keep me from falling. (v. 26b) God’s Word will direct us to the right way of life, the way to stay on God’s path of obedience and victory!
- It gives me God’s blessings. (v. 33b) These are eternal joys that we only know as we walk in the light of His Word. We have the blessings listed in #1-9, and a million other joys. Think about the joy of hearing Truth from God as the Holy Spirit teaches us the Word, the joy of learning more about our Savior and His work in our lives, and the hope of glory that awaits us! Those are blessings that last.
God’s Word makes things brighter as the Lord pours His wisdom into our hearts, but we have an obligation – we must “turn our chairs and face the sun,” if you will. Lean in today and enjoy the warmth of the Scriptures!
What one truth has the Lord shared with you this week that is like a ray of sunshine in your heart? Don’t keep it to yourself! Share it here and share it with anyone you meet today!
One thought on “If You Need Some Joy Today During Coronavirus”
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord. Proverbs 21:31
LikeLiked by 1 person