For Mother’s Day this year my sweet husband bought me a floor lamp that caught my eye when we were visiting a Cracker Barrel on vacation. It looks like a bird cage, and has the vintage vibe that I love. What I didn’t know was that it was also going to be a useful tool to remind me of a truth I learned in Bible Study!
After having studied my lesson from Lies Women Believe, I looked at that bird cage in a different light (no pun intended!). It brought back a reminder of a truth learned in Chapter one of the book.
Believing a lie that Satan puts in my mind is just like being bound up in a cage. Every lie is another rib, keeping me from being free and enjoying the life Christ died to give to me. Just as Eve acted on the lie in the Garden of Eden and ate the fruit because she believed it would make her wise and like God, if I act on lies I believe, I too, will be held in bondage.
Christ said in John 8:32
Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.
So how can we be free from the bondage of lies?
- Identify any areas in which we are living in bondage. Some examples…
- Areas of emotional distress – Depression, anxiety, fear, or worry
- Bondage to physical sin – over-eating, not eating, over-exercising,
- Financial bondage
- Sexual sin
- Identify any lies you may be believing that are at the root of the bondage – Some examples might be…
- I’m too sinful for God to really love me.
- I’ll never be good enough for _____________.
- I’m too (fat, short, skinny, ugly, uneducated…) to be of any use to anyone.
- I could never do that thing that God wants me to do.
- My marriage will never get better.
- My family member will never be saved.
- I have the right to be happy and do what I want to do.
The list could go on and on. But you need to ask yourself,
What keeps plaguing me?
What do I keep wrestling with that crops up again and again?
- Replace the lies with the truth. Find Scripture that refutes the lie.
He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust:
his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
We all have a choice either to be free, due to the Truth of God’s Word, or to be held in bondage by believing and acting on Satan’s lies.
What lies are living in your heart? What truth needs to counteract it?
I would encourage you to memorize Philippians 4:8 if you don’t have it committed to memory yet!
Refresh yourself with Truth!