Have you ever gotten to pick fruit? Apples, strawberries, peaches, blackberries – when they’re ripe, they’re ready to be snatched off the limb or vine. Most of the time I’ve picked fruit, it wasn’t to my credit – I just came by at the right time – when the fruit was ready!
|Last night I happened by at another fruit-picking time. You see, I had the blessing of going to church. That in itself was good, but that wasn’t the fruit. After the service was over, I walked into the sanctuary after serving in another part of the building, and my husband told me he had a visitor he’d like me to meet. I walked towards the front of the auditorium where “Kim” (not really her name) was seated. Kim had come to church because she was carrying a heavy burden of a physical illness. As we chatted, and she told me she works at the grocery store I patronize, she said that her co-workers noticed that she wasn’t happy like she normally was. “What’s going on in your world?” I asked her. She shared with me the fright of her physical situation. “What do you do to handle times like this?” was my next question. She told me. I asked her if she had an assurance that she’d go to heaven. When she said, “yes” I asked what she was basing that on. “There has to be an angel watching over me after all I’ve gone through in my life. I feel like I would go there.” Her answers were her feelings and hopes – nothing backed up with the Bible. My last question was, “If you were believing something that wasn’t true, would you want someone to tell you?” With solemnity, she nodded her head. I asked her permission to take the Bible and show her what God says about heaven, hell, and eternal life. We opened the Scriptures and she read out loud:|
- “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23).
- “In reply Jesus declared, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again'” (John 3:3).
- “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'” (John 14:6).
- “That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, ‘Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame'” (Romans 10:9-11).
Kim’s heart was ready to hear the Gospel. She was “fruit,” ready to be picked! She willingly understood her need for a Savior and was truly joyous at finally hearing the truth! When she prayed to receive Christ, she said, “Lord, people have been telling me all kinds of other things – that there’s some good in all of us, that if I won’t focus on hell I won’t go there, but I’ve been afraid, and I am now confessing with my mouth to be saved!” Hallelujah! She trusted Christ as her Savior!
Showing someone how to be saved is the best thing in this world to do!!!! I can take no credit for it – all I did was show up in the place where the fruit was ready to be picked. Am I ever glad I was in church so I didn’t end up with an empty basket!
Let me ask you a few questions:
- Are you making yourself available to share the Gospel? Are you carrying Gospel tracts to share the Word of God?
- Were you in church last night so that you might have been walking past ripe fruit that was ready to be picked? All I did was show up!
- When was the last time you shared the Gospel with someone? Ask God to bring people into your path that need to hear the Truth. You might not get to pick the fruit, but you can at least water the seed!
- Do you have the assurance of heaven? Are you basing it on the truth of the verses above? God loves you and sent His Son to die that you could be saved.