Yesterday was “Freezer Jam-making day!”
Nothing freshens up a day like a row of jars of Strawberry Freezer Jam on the counter! I always make at least two batches and maybe three, because we love this stuff! We put it on toasted Sour Dough bread, English Muffins, or Strawberry muffins. Our goal is to have a jar for Christmas day Angel biscuits, so I have to make sure that the quantity in the freezer will last until then!
This freezer jam has to be the easiest domestic job you’ll ever do in your kitchen (aside from emptying the dishwasher!). If it seems intimidating to you, it’s because you’re probably thinking that canning is involved – IT’S NOT! You mix up the jam, ladle it into jars and twist a lid on. Voila! You’re done!
Let me walk you through the steps that my packet had in it. Each box of Sure Jell could have slightly different instructions. Be sure to follow your directions explicitly.
|Click on picture to enlarge|
- Buy fresh berries – local are best! You’ll need a quart for each recipe you make.
- Wash and slice berries. Mash 1 cup at a time with a potato masher.
- Measure 2 cups of berries (exact measurements are essential!) and put them in a large bowl.Measure 4 cups of sugar and add to berries. Mix and let set 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 3/4 cup water and Sure-Jell pectin to small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil one minute, stirring constantly. Add to strawberry mixture. Stir several minutes to combine.
- Ladle into clean jars. Wipe rims and screw on lids. Let set on counter for 24 hours. Place in freezer.
In the meantime, admire your beautiful jars of jam! Instagram a picture of your jam. Post it on Facebook, and then give yourself a huge pat on the back for being so domestic!
Aren’t these labels adorable?
My sweet daughter brought me those for a hostess gift! They came from Dollar General. My cute little polka dots lids came from there too.
If you haven’t made jam before will you give this a try? Maybe you’ll start a yearly tradition!
Make sure you find yourself in a Bible preaching church Sunday!