Because my husband had a birthday this week, we took a couple of days to go on a trip to Hot Springs, Virginia to celebrate! Oh, the blessing this change of view has given our busy lives! We loved the gorgeous setting of the Homestead Resort, sitting in sun-filled lobbies, window seats, and also the love seat in our own room. The change of view has been a blessing.
There are times that our spiritual eyes need a change of view, too. Discouragements come to all of us. It’s part of living in a sinful world with sinful words, responses and actions. Sometimes those all belong to our own heart; sometimes they come from others. I’m never surprised at my own wrong actions/reactions, but though I shouldn’t be surprised when it comes from others (because others are sinners, just like me), it does come as a blow.
Have you been there?
Someone does or says something that you just weren’t expectitng and it’s a hard pill to swallow. But as a believer of the Lord Jesus Christ, we are reminded that we don’t wrestle with flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world. My enemy is deeper than the person from whom the blow came. Ephesians 6 reminds of this truth. It’s no surprise to me that after having recently hearing my husband preach on these verses, and after having taught this passage afterwards in my Adult Bible Fellowship, that soon after the battle became very apparent. Then, oh, the wrestling in my own heart through the night! The “Why?” “How could they” thoughts pierced my sleep, leaving me to toss and turn in the darkness of the room and also in my mind.
But when morning came, I went to that very passage in Ephesians 6 and repeated the armor that I wear –
- The Belt of Truth – What Truth would I meditate on today?
- The Breastplate of Righteousness – How would I respond towards this that would show a righteous heart?
- Feet shod with the preparation of the Gospel of Peace – Would I be ready today to share the Gospel, or will I dwell on the war around me instead?
- The Shield of Faith – What promises of God’s Word could I claim today?
- The Helmet of Salvation – Will I remember all I am in Christ because I’m His child? How will this change the way I respond?
- The Sword of the Spirit – What verses will I meditate on to remind myself (and my enemy, Satan) of the victory Christ has won for me?
Choosing to meditate on that passage gave me a whole different view! It was like the sunshine that was pouring into the library in which I was blessed to sit! It refreshed me in the battle because I was dressed properly to fight it!
If discouragement is your view today, do yourself the blessing of changing your view to all that is yours if you are a child of God. It will give you an eternal perspective that will equip you to live in victory today!