Recently at a marriage conference my husband and I were privileged to do, he preached a message that had some really great points that are just too good not to share! If your marriage is struggling (and we all struggle at one point or another!) these are great truths to tuck away and preach to yourself! Ready? There are seven of them…
- My past doesn’t define or confine me. Are you guilty-ridden? Have you messed up as a wife along the way and regretted your behavior, or attitude? Those things don’t define you – nor do they keep you from changing!! Old things are passed away and all things are become new! II Cor. 5:17
- We can live free from sin, guilt and condemnation. Remember point #1 when you might have thought about something hard? There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1
- Nothing done against me compares to my sin against God. When we feel we’ve been done “dirty” by our spouse, this truth is so crucial to remember! Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. I Peter 2:24
- I’m not dependent on my spouse for what I am or need. A husband can do lots of things, but Christ is ALL I need. Psalm 62:5 Oh my soul, wait though only upon God, for my expectation is from Him.
- I can obey all God has called me to do regardless of any situation. Submitting is hard. Asking forgiveness is difficult, but…It is God who works in us, both to will and do of His good pleasure. Phil. 2:13
- I can endure any suffering or hardship with the assurance that God is working all to my greatest good. God can take even ugly situations and turn them into blessings! Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- God is always with me and always at work in my marriage, even when progress is imperceptible. Though I may feel alone, I am not. Isaiah 65:24 Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.
After I got these truths home, I asked myself, “Where does the Bible tell me that?” then I found a verse that is the backbone of each of those truths. I would encourage you to do the same thing. Find Scripture verses that will remind you of God’s forgiveness, presence, work, plan and help for your marriage. Write it in your prayer journal and thank God for the fact that He cares more for your marriage than you even do!! God wants your marriage to succeed and bring glory to Him! You have His Word on it!!
Do those Truths encourage you like they do me?!
Refresh your marriage so you can refresh others!