“You eat with your eyes first!”
Oh, I love it when simple food is made a little fancier and prettier for a special dinner. I love Au Gratin Potatoes, but a casserole dish of them is usually too messy to set on a table in hopes for a pretty presentation. However, recently I found a recipe for a bumped-up version of these delicious spuds. The Au Gratin recipe is basically made in individual servings by putting stacks of potatoes into muffin tins! It’s genius! This tweaked recipe is also super delicious and pretty to serve, plus these cook faster than a whole pan of Au Gratin Potatoes! That’s a win-win!
I don’t own a mandolin for slicing, but my food processor does a fantastic job at making super thin slices of vegetables and it’s not nearly so scary to use! These are creamy, delicious AND pretty!!
Creamy Potato Stacks With Thyme
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 lbs. medium russet potatoes (about 4-5), peeled and sliced 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray 12 cup standard muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together cream, thyme, garlic, and nutmeg. Bring to a slow simmer and remove from the heat. You want the cream just heated through. Discard the thyme.
- Toss the potato slices with salt and pepper and layer into stacks in the prepared muffin cups, filling each one to the top but not over the top.
- Spoon cream over each potato stack, filling almost to the top. You will have couple or so slices exposed. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are knife tender and golden brown on top.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen up the stacks and carefully remove to a serving platter.
What dish can you think of that needs to be made a little prettier to set on the table? Would individual servings help with presentation?
With love and little bit of carbs,
2 thoughts on “Creamy Potato Stacks with Thyme”
My problem with be in only eating one! These look delicious and so pretty.
The portions are pretty small so two servings are in order!! =)