If you need supper in a hurry, pasta is often a good option because it cooks so quickly. The recipe I’m sharing today came together in about 25 minutes, but it tastes like one of those dishes that took a long time to make! Oh my word, this is delicious!
The list of ingredients is small, too. I had all the ingredients on hand when I stumbled across this recipe. Pasta, sausage, tomatoes and some half and half all come together to make a satisfying and filling main dish! I can’t wait to make this again!
I found a recipe but tweaked it to our preferences. Here’s how I made it…
Pasta with Italian Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce
- 12 oz. pasta – I used what I had – Elbow, but Ziti or rigatoni would be perfect
- 12 oz Italian sausage – I used mild
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach or frozen works too!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. While the pasta is cooking begin the sauce.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the Italian sausage and the onion, saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add tomatoes, simmer and reduce the liquid by half.
- Lower the heat, stir in the half and half, spinach, salt, pepper. Simmer until the cream is heated and the spinach is wilted. Add the Parmesan cheese and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta, add to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
This meal needs a nice piece of bread to go along with it. I served a dish of applesauce instead of salad. It was a wonderful, fast meal!
I’m not a big pasta fan, but this recipe might change that!
I hope you’ll make and enjoy this quick and delicious recipe!