I downloaded a free book onto my Kindle yesterday. It has grabbed me right from the start. It’s entitled, “What’s It Like To Be Married To Me?” by Linda Dillow. In the book, she asks hard questions to wives. She’s trying to get us to understand what kind of wife we are to our husband.
I’m reading this book, not because my marriage is in trouble or there’s a crisis. I’m reading this book because it’s my goal to frequently read books, articles and blogs that will encourage me in my role as a wife. It keeps me on my toes. It reminds me of where our love started and where I want it to end up.
This is the question I want to ask you today: Where do you want your marriage to end up? Think about what you want your marriage to look like in 5, 10 or 20 years. Do you want to be close, communicative with one another, sharing wonderful times as a couple that parallels to no other human relationship? Then how will you get there? What are you actively doing today to make that happen? It won’t become a reality without effort! Consider today what you could do to take a step forward in your marriage relationship – a step towards a deeper love and intimacy.
- Leave your husband a note telling him a reason you respect him.
- Plan a date. Get everything in order for the time away and surprise him when he gets home. Why not make a No cell phone rule for the evening? =)
- Find a book you could read together – a chapter each night before bedtime.
- Find a special Coffee House and have a beverage. If they don’t have board games there, take one with you and enjoy some friendly competition. Have you played Farkle?! Fun game!
- Pop some popcorn and watch your wedding video (if you’re lucky enough to have been married when there was such a thing!)
- Buy him a small gift and leave it in his car.
- Bake or cook something he loves.
- Get up early and make him his favorite breakfast (or a special lunch to take to work).
See you in church Sunday!