Two weeks from yesterday I have will have the privilege of hosting Thanksgiving for my family. There will be at least eight of us here, with the possible addition of other non-family guests. I’m excited about getting to host this holiday that is the beginning of a wonderful season of the year!
Though I’m not having twenty or forty people, like many of you may be hosting, I’m still trying to plan out my preparations in these weeks before so I can enjoy my family and not be scurrying about the kitchen all day. Here’s what I’m working on getting done before Thanksgiving week arrives. Maybe this will give you a few ideas of things you can do beforehand, so your stress level will be diminished!
- Clean summer dust off windows
- Wipe down baseboards
- Polish hardwood floors
- Have sofa upholstery professionally cleaned
- Wipe out fridge and freezer
- Get rid of any unnecessary containers in fridge so there will be plenty of room for all the food
- Clean oven
- Wipe down cabinets
- Iron linens – napkins and tablecloths
- Clean/polish silver
- Plan centerpiece
- Purchase any candles needed
- Make place cards
- Plan dinner menu
- Ask guests who have volunteered what items they’d like to bring
- Purchase any pantry items that aren’t perishable
- Purchase/order turkey
- Bake cookies and freeze
- Make pie crusts and freeze
Those are the things I’ve thought of so far. My mind will wake me up at night sometimes, with a thought of something I need to add to my list. It’s good to have a pad and pencil by my bedside for those nighttime ideas!
Who else is hosting Thanksgiving at their house? How do you prepare ahead of time?