Hi Friends! Happy Monday and Happy May 1st! I hope you all had a great week last week. I had a restful time away, but am happy to be back here with you today sharing another great recipe!
I’ve shared my recipe here for Baked Oatmeal – it’s a great do-ahead dish. It’s nice to have on hand for a couple of days. But there are times when I don’t have that made up and I need to eat something before heading out the door in the morning. I’ve recently found a recipe for a Breakfast Oatmeal Cup that is a baked oatmeal made in muffin tins, creating the perfect single-serving size. Once baked, they can be kept in the fridge for a several days, but what I’ve been doing is freezing them and popping one into the microwave for those busy mornings. I put one into a bowl and add milk, just like I do with my other Baked Oatmeal. It’s so delicious, and keeps me from getting that low-sugar drop later on. This is so good, and lots better than regular oatmeal! I love the texture of these as opposed to the traditional bowl of oats.
You could add any variety of fruits and nuts. This recipe is one of my favorite combos – Strawberry-Banana. So good! Here’s the recipe:
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Cups
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2⅓ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup – you could use honey instead, if desired
- 1 fresh strawberries
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ cup sliced almonds or walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well until everything is combined.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and scoop oatmeal mixture in using a large ice cream scoop or a ¼ measuring cup. The mixture will be a little watery, so it’s important to mix well before each scoop to make sure you get an even combination of milk and oats.
- Bake oatmeal cups for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Keep in fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
To eat from frozen state, thaw overnight in fridge or in microwave, then warm for about 30 seconds. Add milk and enjoy!
What do you keep on hand for breakfast on busy days?