During a recent recurrence of a migraine, I was awakened after midnight with the nausea it caused. I rose to fix myself a cup of hot peppermint tea to ease the discomfort in my stomach. While sipping the steaming liquid in the dim nightlight I’d turned on, I reached for my pad of paper and pen and wrote down some thoughts I’d been thinking during the night. I wrote: Why God allows us to be sick:
- It reminds us how weak our flesh is.
- It makes us run to the Lord. (Remember the woman with the issue of blood who came to find Jesus and touch the hem of his robe?)
- It enables us to sympathize and be compassionate with others.
- It makes us thankful for days when we feel well.
- It reminds us we’re not home yet.
We may not enjoy being sick, but, as funny as it sounds, it is good for us.
Revelation 21:4 says,
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
What a wonderful promise this verse is; I remind myself of it whenever I have a migraine.
Whatever discomfort you or someone you care about is dealing with today, remind yourself of the truth – One Day all these illnesses will be “former things!”
With love (and a cup of peppermint tea),