I love to go fingering my way through my recipe box until I come across one of my treasured dishes that I’ve made for my family for years and maybe haven’t made in a long while. This is the case with Colorful Kielbasa, a recipe I found in Taste of Home YEARS ago! My family likes it because we could eat the Turkey Kielbasa, which has less fat, and the recipe has all the components for a filling meal – meat, starch and vegetable. Add a slice of bread and a salad and supper is ready in less than 30 minutes! By buying Kielbasa on sale and freezing it, I can have everything on hand for this meal anytime I need to get dinner on the table in a hurry.
It also lives up to its name in being colorful on the plate! I served it with a version of this watermelon salad and it was a great meal served out on the patio.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, combine the soup, water and butter; bring to a boil. Add kielbasa and rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Stir in peas and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and peas are heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Here are pictures of the simple process:
I like using fresh mushrooms, rather than canned.
I love having tried and true Thirty Minute meals on file for those busy days! What do you make when you’re in a hurry for dinner?
With love from my country kitchen,