I recently needed to fix a meal for a couple who had spent many days and nights in the hospital. They needed a nourishing, comforting meal. That’s when I jumped on my blog’s recipe index to look for my long-time favorite recipe for Meatloaf. I mean you can’t get more comforting than meatloaf and the trimmings for a great home cooked meal, right? It was then that I was shocked to find that I have never shared that recipe here on my blog! What? I’ve been making it for YEARS!
I will fix that need today and share this incredibly easy and yummy meatloaf!It’s from Taste of Home and it’s called “Mom’s Best Meatloaf” for a reason! It’s not over-seasoned; it’s just right!
To accompany the meatloaf, I made the best macaroni and cheese I’ve ever had. A sweet friend at church brought this cheesy heaven to my husband and me when we were caring for my mother-in-law in several years ago. I asked my friend for the recipe, and also if she minded if I shared it with you! She happily passed it on. Thank you, Bethany!
Here was my menu for the Comfort Food Meal:
Mom’s Best Meatloaf
Macaroni and Cheese
Southern Green Beans
Low-Fat Baking Powder Biscuits
Mom’s Best Meatloaf
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Drizzle top of loaf with ketchup; bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
My Favorite Ever Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add pasta, and cook until done; drain.
- In 9×13 inch baking dish, stir together macaroni, shredded Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle topping over macaroni mixture.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden.
This meal is comfort heaven! Make it for someone who needs some love – or make it for your own family to show your love!
What’s your best comfort food meal?
With love from my country kitchen,