Not all sugar cookies are created equal. Many recipes call for an hour of refrigeration before you can roll out the dough. But what if you need a dessert in a hurry and decide that sugar cookies would be the perfect ending for your meal for guests that’s just 45 minutes away?!
That’s exactly the predicament I was in a week ago! I decided last minute to add cookies to the menu. So what did I do? I made Drop Sugar Cookies! This soft dough is whipped up in the mixer, then spooned onto baking sheets for a quick bake. These make a delicious dessert! Because I was in a real hurry, I only baked up one sheet (a dozen), which was all I needed, then after my guests left, I baked the remaining dough and froze the extras. Yay for cookies in the freezer!! This recipe was found on Pinterest and is a family recipe from The Mom Who.
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Milk
- ¾ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Crisco
- 1 Egg
- 2½ cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- Sugar Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and Crisco.
- Then add the egg to your mixture.
- Next add the milk and vanilla extract to your wet mixture.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture that’s in the large bowl. Mix until incorporated. Don’t over mix!
- Scoop dough into 2 tablespoon sized scoops and drop them on your sheet.
- Bake for 6- 7 minutes and then carefully add sprinkles to the tops of the cookies. Continue baking for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- *Note- You can add the sprinkles to the cookies before baking, but the sprinkles sink down into the cookies. You decide on when to place the sprinkles- Before, During, or After baking.
Is there a recipe you pull up if you need a fast dessert? I’d love to hear what it is!