One day last week, my husband was cleaning out some of his office boxes that had been stored away in our garage when he came across a stack of preserved letters, notes and cards, most of them written by “Yours truly.” We began reading them and found ourselves laughing, crying, and rejoicing over the years, the experiences we’ve shared, and the goodness of the Lord in it all.
It became so obvious to me that the written note is so important! Without that, how would we recall these precious memories? How would we have remembered how awed we were by God’s provision, or how near the Lord was during that trial?
Since that afternoon, I’ve determined that I must
a.) Continue writing notes. Texts are great, but in ten years, how will we be able to reread that form of media?
b.) Read through the stack I have tucked away from the 36 years behind us!
Now, here are 30 great Summer Date Night ideas!
- My first encouragement to you about a summer date night is to make a time when you and your spouse can sit down and read through some of your cards and letters you’ve saved. Go out on your back porch to read them, or take them to the lake where you can sit at a picnic table. Just do it. It will remind you where you’ve come from and how special your relationship really is! I fell in love with my husband all over again!
- You don’t have any notes? Sit down and write your husband one today and leave it in a special place where he’ll find it. Write it on pretty paper. Spray a little perfume on it. Then tuck it away so you can start that file you’ll be able to read again when you’re old and gray.
- Make your own Drive-In. Make the setting outside your home perfect for watching a movie or show on your laptop or tablet. Turn on the patio lights, light candles, get a bowl of popcorn popped and a comfy swing to share!
- Bookstore Date– I first shared about this here ,and no matter if you have done it before, this date can be done over and over again and it will be new each time. It’s one of our favorites!
- Read your favorite books to one another – or find a new one to read!
- Bake cookies together
- Watch the sunrise, then make breakfast together
- Attend a local baseball game
- Go for a long drive
- Have a picnic
- Play Frisbee
- Visit the farmer’s market
- Video Record the Story of How You Met & Fell in Love
- Cook a Late Night Dinner Together
- Write a Prayer List & Pray Together
- Make Smoothies or Milkshakes
- Share 5 Goals Over a Late Night Snack
- Do a Puzzle Together
- Play a Game
- Have a Chip & Dip Night – Add Conversation
- Record Each Other Sharing a Recent Memory
- Tackle a FUN Project
- Write a Gratitude List about one another
- Have an Ice Cream Sundae Night
- Search for Funny YouTube Videos
- Go to Yard Sales and see who can find the best bargain
- Go to the Local Bike Trail and ride bikes.
- Enjoy an Outdoor Concert
- Begin a Date Night Journal and Write down each time you have a date, what you did and any fun memories you created.
- Go to a Theme Park Without your children and leave your phones in the car. Ride all the water rides. Eat the snacks. See the shows. Stay late for the fireworks!
I hope you’ve had a great first week of June, and I hope some of the ideas shared this week will inspire you to create some fun at home this summer! Each day is a gift from God and is worth celebrating! So enjoy!!
Stay refreshed in God’s Word this weekend. We need Him every single day!