having the status of a king or queen or a member of their family.
I admit that I am kind of taking liberties with the word royal, but in all reality, if you and your husband are believers in Jesus Christ, you are a royal priesthood. We learn that here –
I Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Because of who we are in Christ, everything about us should show to the world the praise of our God Who saved us. In other words, our marriages should display the Gospel. If we do that, then our relationship with one another will truly be royal.
How can we have a Royal Marriage?
- Think of your spouse as royalty. If we were in the presence of a king, would we forget it? Of course not! We should remind ourselves every day that we chose to marry this man! He is our Prince Charming! We must remember what we loved about him in the beginning. If he doesn’t seem quite so charming today, it’s our thoughts that have changed, so we need to change them back. Instead of dwelling on the negative, we must think on the things that we love about our prince!
- Keep your eyes on your royal family. When any of the British royalty are out in public, all eyes are on them! We must keep our eyes on only our mate, and not even consider looking at someone else. Keep your vows you made before God. He wants your marriage to succeed even more than you do!
- Treat your spouse like royalty. Yes, treat him like a king. Do it as a way to show your love. Be watching and anticipating his needs so you can meet them. Paul reminds us in Philippians 2:3,4 But in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. We’re not going to think of ourselves first – we’ll think of our mate. Doing this is a true blessing!
- Speak endearingly about your spouse. We were all talking about the the royal couple after their wedding. What do you say to others about your spouse? Do you praise him and share the traits that you admire most?
- Stay in the same country! Royal families don’t divide – with one person ruling one country and the other spouse ruling another. To have a royal marriage, we have to stay on the same track, rather than each spouse doing their own thing. We must come together for time to grow, talk, share, and make memories. Without this we will just be like roommates, rather than a Royal married couple!
- Talk to the King of Kings about your marriage. Pray and ask God to give you wisdom as to how to respond to your mate. He made that man and knows him! Ask for understanding about how to talk to him. Ask for God’s protection on his life, his thoughts, and his heart.
- Enjoy your castle! Have fun in your home, no matter how humble it is. Make it the best place on earth for you both to retreat to and share this life. Draw up the bridge and let intruders “meet the dragons in the moat” from time to time so you and your spouse can spend uninterrupted time together. Every couple needs some time away – even if it’s just an afternoon or evening.
Perhaps you need to watch the video of your wedding again, if you’re blessed to have one. If not, look at the photos and remember the day you took the royal title of “Mrs.” It’s a high calling! Let’s show it and enjoy it!
Refresh your royal marriage!