The sand drawing above is an annual event that my husband started doing years ago when we first started taking vacations to the beach. He draws our initials in the sand, dates it, draws a heart around it and then we get a picture. It always makes a memory and I think it also speaks to other people, too. As a matter of fact, when this one was taken, several people, including a child, walked towards it, then nearly stumbled when they saw the drawing, not wanting to trample through it. Of course it would have been fine, but it was like they felt were desecrating soemthing sacred and they wanted to help us preserve it. But I wonder, do we as couples trample over and desecrate our marriage relationship by not stopping to consider what we need to do to preserve it?
Right at the top of that list is making sure that we spend time together…we continue to date our spouse. There are lots of fun things to do on dates in the summertime, and many of them cost very little! Here are some of our favorites:
- Drives. Whether we drive through the country, or an ocean city while on vacation, we love to drive through subdivisions or streets and look at homes and landscaping. We turn on some music, roll down the windows and drive slowly. It’s fun to see what others have done to their homes and also dream about what we might do because of ideas gleaned on our drive.
- Back porch dates – Those cool patio lights make the perfect setting for a movie on your laptop or tablet out there, accompanied by popcorn or a treat!
- Backyard dates – We pull out the croquet, badminton or other yard game and enjoy some friendly competition.
- Bike rides – So many places offer great trails. Sometimes we even pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the ride and lunch along the path!
- Ice Cream Dates – The only thing we ever order from McDonald’s is their soft serve ice cream. We also love Chick-fil-A’s cones. Often we’ll buy a half gallon when it’s marked down, and enjoy a cone outside on the swing.
- Yard sales – We like to make a mental list of things we’ll look for – a piece of furniture for the patio, books, or antiques for decorating. We load up on quarters and $1 bills and head out, newspaper in hand and scavange for the best deals on those items.
Don’t trample over your marriage this summer; make time to create favorite dates and times with your spouse!
Do you and your spouse have any traditions like our drawing in the sand that you do? What fun plans are you making for this summer?
Refresh your marriage,
2 thoughts on “Family Friday – My Favorite Summertime Dates”
This may sound silly to some, but we take pictures of our feet (in shoes lol) side by side at different places we go. This started on our honeymoon (almost 10 years ago!), and it is something we’ve done ever since. It’s just a reminder of all the places we’ve walked together.
I love that! What a clever idea!