My husband and I have been arguing again. You know how that goes. It’s over a topic we’ve discussed before – serving one another. The conversation went something like this:
Me – Let me do that for you.
Him – No, I already took care of it, but thank you.
Me – I can never seem to find a way to serve you: you always beat me to it! You do so much more for me than I do you.
Him – Hon, that’s not true! You do so much for me. Goodness, I couldn’t do what I do on a day without you!
Okay, it wasn’t a mean kind of argument, but it truly is a debate we have often. He’s such a servant to me that it’s really hard to find a way to out-do him!
This serving one another in our marriage isn’t a competition thing, it’s a love thing. You see, true love serves. I Corinthians 13:4 – love vaunteth not itself. Or it doesn’t seek its own desires but that of others. It is kind. Wow, this describes my husband. Want to know how you can better serve your spouse? Here’s what mine does –
- If he’s the last one to get up, he makes the bed.
- If he hears the dryer turn off, he removes the laundry and folds it.
- When he sees a sink full of dishes while cooking or baking, he washes them.
- He turns down the sheets at night if he goes to bed first.
- He brings me morning coffee.
I could go on and on. See how hard it would be to out-do him??
We could take some tips from him by just looking at what is around your spouse. Look for a need that needs fulfilling-
- Clean laundry
- A beverage refilled
- A snack
- Help with a chore
- A load lifted from his shoulders that you could do – make an appointment for him, run an errand, etc.
See if you can “win the argument ” of being the greatest servant in your marriage!
Have a great weekend by serving well!