This summer my husband and I made a decision to lose a few pounds. Why? Tight jeans and increased numbers on the scale! We were serious and steadfast. However, that does not mean that we ate tuna fish and boiled eggs! We have eaten so many new recipes filled with delicious foods simply lightened up. We’ve eaten a lot of chicken, and today’s recipe might be my favorite! This recipe came from Skinny Taste, a great place for lightened up recipes and scrumptious food!
We loved this recipe because of the crispy chicken, but also the deconstructed guacamole on top. That simply means that instead of taking all the guacamole ingredients and blending them together, you toss them in a bowl and serve them over the chicken.
I made a couple changes to the original recipe – I coated the chicken with taco seasoning (I make my own), and I used Panko crumbs to give the chicken that lovely fried-taste!
One thing I love about healthy eating is how colorful the plate is! So many fruits on the plate make it pretty and healthy!
Here’s the recipe…
For The Chicken:
- 2 8 ounce boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Taco seasoning, homemade or packaged
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 -1/2 tbsp olive oil
For the Deconstructed Guacamole:
- 4 ounces avocado, from 1 small Hass
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Season cutlets with salt. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In another bowl beat egg whites. Dip chicken cutlets in egg whites, then breadcrumb mixture, shaking off excess.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan on medium heat. Add the olive oil. When hot add the cutlets and cook about 6 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- In a large bowl combine the avocado, red onion, tomato, salt, pepper, cumin, and lime juice. Gently toss and serve over the chicken with additional lime wedges, if desired.
Does that look like diet food? I don’t think so! But it was. More later this week about how we lost the pounds slowly and wisely.
Here are a few more of our recent favorite recipes from this summer ~
Tandoori Grilled Shrimp
Smoky Tilapia Tacos
With love from my country kitchen,
7 thoughts on “Crispy Chicken with Deconstructed Guacamole”
Looks delicious and beautiful too…and doable for a non-cook! I’ll be anxious to hear more about your “serious and steadfast” journey 🙂
Oh yes, this is super simple! You can do it! I’ll be sharing soon about our “journey!” =)
This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing! 🙂
It really is so good. I hope you’ll try it!
I love and use many of your recipes! Especially the light ones, we are trying to lose a little too. Your posts often make me stop and think and are so relevant.
It makes me happy to hear that people use the recipes I share! I try to only post the things that we love the most so others will get to enjoy the BEST! I appreciate you sharing that my blog content is relevant; I truly want to encourage my sweet readers. Thanks, Jenny, for refreshing me today!