I had a fun baking afternoon last week. I whipped up a batch of Low-Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. When I told my daughter Alli what I had made she said,
No cookie should be Low-fat!
I get what she’s saying, but honestly, I have tried many recipes that are labeled “low-fat,” but still have so much flavor. Also, they don’t taste like you’re eating the sand on the beach! This new recipe is one of those great finds! It replaces applesauce for some of the fat, giving it plenty of moisture. It has oatmeal in it, too, giving it texture and chewiness. Add those chocolate chips in there and you have a delicious cookie without the guilt!
This recipe came from Skinny Taste – a place I find tons of great reduced calorie recipes! Here’s her terrific recipe ~
Low-Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick oats
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips I use Lily’s sugar free – (I used Toll House semi-sweet NOT sugar-free)
- Preheat oven to 350°F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.
- Add the egg, followed by the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls (approx 1 tbsp each) of the dough onto prepared baking sheets, flattening each cookie slightly.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
For under 100 calories, you get a whole lot of chewy cookie flavor! I dunked mine in milk and it was Chocolate Chip heaven!
In case you want more, here are a couple other low-fat cookies I love.
Happy (low-fat) baking!
2 thoughts on “Low-Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie”
These sound delicious!
We love them, and it’s nice that they bring less guilt! 😬